Issued by Duncan Smart, Holmer & Shelwick Footpath Officer, 5th January 2022
Tuesday 18th January – walked 10.4 miles covering all the useable (i.e. not blocked by building works) footpaths of Holmer & Shelwick Parish for the annual survey as Footpath Officer, replacing some broken or missing waymarks and carrying out light maintenance work.
1) Path HO1 from the Roman Road to Ayles Brook and then north of The Point Development.
The path from the Roman Road through to Ayles Brook is still subject to a Temporary Closure Notice (renewed on 1st February 2022) but, subject to work being done on the Ayles Brook bridge it is clear and ready to use.
The bridge remains blocked by Heras fencing and needs some repair work before it can be used safely
Access to the footpath HO1 north of The Point remains on a route up Avocet Road and across two temporary stiles shown below
The path then continues northwards across a field to join up with the Pipe & Lyde footpath network
2) Path HO3 from the A49 to the Coldwells Road
This path had a Temporary Closure Notice applied to it pending building work. However, the work has been deferred and the notice has, for the present, been removed and the path is open and available to use.
3) Path HO4 from Coldwells Road north to the boundary with Pipe & Lyde Parish
4) Path HO6 from Attwood Lane to Munstone Road
5) Path HO8 from the Roman Road to Attwood Lane
4) Path HO8A from Attwood Lane to Coldwells Road
5) Path HO9 from Munstone Road to Patch Hill Lane and Shelwick Lane
I have been following the request not to walk through the garden of Stone House during Covid-19 but do not know if others have also followed that request.
6) Path HO10 from Munstone Road (Ivydene) to Shelwick, Shelwick Lane (Brean House)
7) Path HO13 from Munstone Road to Shelwick, Shelwick Lane
8) Path HO14 from Shelwick Lane to Burcott Farm
This shaky structure was reported on the Herefordshire website by Councillor Coultas in October and given an enquiry reference of 11111621 and job number of 41311986. I requested a progress update from Balfour Beatty on 28th January but could not extract an answer on when (or if) it would be done.
9) Paths HO15 at Shelwick Green and HO16 & HO17 to the A465
10) Bridleway HO18 accessed from the A465
Just a quick check to see if the fallen tree debris had been cleared. No change seen so I did some more clearance to improve access to the bridleway.